UPDATE: The second movement will be out Aug. 15, 2012!
The first movement is complete! What a wonderful triumph for all the musicians, Chip Michael–composer and Maestro–and our engineers! Please take a few minutes to view the YouTube Video of the Hawk Goes Hunting.
I wonder how many of you reading this blog catch the significance of TwtrSymphony? Here is how I would summarize it, in no particular order of importance:
- Musicians: professionals and amateurs, scattered all over the world. Our only connection to each other is Twitter.
- Music that is delivered electronically..for the first movement, we had only our own part, so no concept of what the whole movement would sound like.
- For some of us–learning how to record ourselves, using only a click track, and a computer recording of our part as our guide.
- Also for some–learning how to use DropBox to transmit and receive our files.
- Spending hours on this project, with no expectation of pay–just a love of music
- The technical people: sound techs to sync all these files together. Support techs to keep communication running.
- Chip Michael: Composer, script supervisor, blogger, moving force to keep the concept alive
- Multiple tracks of music, multiple video recordings, differences in background sounds and acoustics…all coming together to create a unified musical recording.
- Coping with dogs barking, gardeners gardening, vehicles roaring and all manner of distractions to spoil a recording.